1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
7 cups milk
4 cinnamon sticks + 1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Alternative additions: 1 tsp. vanilla, raisins, currents, rum, whipping or 1/2 and 1/2 cream for part of the milk, nutmeg, cardamom, fresh fruit etc. I tend to like my rice pudding pure and simple, but feel free to be creative!
1. In a large, heavy pot, boil your rice and water for 7-8 minutes.
2. Add the milk and cinnamon and boil again for another 15-16 minutes - stir frequently. VERY frequently.
3. Add sugar and cook for 30 minutes. Again, stirring very frequently.
4. Add salt and cook for another 2 minutes. Add your vanilla. Stir, stir, stir.
5. Remove from heat and cool. Yum!