Saturday, October 30, 2010

Butter-Pecan Sweet Potatoes


As many of you know, I am a Martha lover. Her website currently has a wonderful 'seasonal produce guide' for all of the 4 seasons. A couple of weeks ago, I posted the butternut-squash guide. This recipe comes from, well, the sweet potato bank. It was DELICIOUS. I think that it is going to be added to the Giles' Thanksgiving repertoire from now on. Personally I am really, truly not keen on the usual plain mashed sweet potatoes that you generally see around this time of year. Ick.  I don't know, maybe its a sensory, texture thing. I've just never been keen. But these guys... oh boy. You're in for a treat! As you can see, we served them up with a side salad & pork chops. Bon appétit!

Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (2.5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- dash of cayenne pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel potatoes and halve lengthwise; slice crosswise 1/2 inch thick. On a baking sheet, toss potatoes with olive oil; season with coarse salt.

2. Transfer half the potatoes to a second baking sheet; cook both sheets until potatoes are tender, tossing occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes.

3. Sprinkle with butter, brown sugar, pecan pieces, and cayenne pepper, dividing evenly. Bake until sugar is caramelized and hard, about 10 minutes. Gently toss; serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. I thought the pork chop looked good, what did you season it with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very easy Mrs C. I generally like my pork chops pretty 'au natural' but with a bit of seasoned zip. I fry them up with a small amount of olive oil and sprinkle both sides with some "Adobo" seasoning while they're cooking. Adobo is a Latin-American seasoning that you can pick up at most grocery stores. If not, at a Latin 'Marcado'. It's a combination of of a bunch of different spices like onion powder, garlic powder, Tellicherry pepper, some cumin ... etc. It's very, VERY good. It's flavourful, but not hot. I put it on most if not all of the meat and fish that I cook. Hope that's helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, if you're looking for something tasty and pretty easy, you could try honey-soy pork chops. I posted this recipe last month:
    http://kendraskitchenmusings.blogspot.com/2010/09/honey-soy-grilled-pork-chops.html

    ReplyDelete