Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Quiche Lorraine

So I've been wanting to make a Quiche for a long time. A very, very long time. Problem is, my husband doesn't like 'eggy' dishes. No frittatas, no omelettes, and, of course, no quiches. I think that, deep down, we all really want our husbands, children, mothers in law et al. to enjoy what we cook for them. Given that my man doesn't like eggy dishes, I decided to pack this particularly eggy dish with lots and lots of meat. And CREAM. Delicious, yummy, real cream. The cream that he's been anxiously awaiting for me to open so that he can enjoy some super rich, creamy coffee.  As a little aside, I agree that the bacon, cheese and cream do not make this a particularly LOW FAT recipe, but we`re just eating a wedge right? ... Right?
So after the initial, "Oh No! Not Quiche...", I'm delighted to report that the non-eggy (neggy?) guy really enjoyed this quiche-extraordinaire. While I must admit that I was lazy, and, as usual, bought my pie crust, it really didn't matter. I got a big smile and an empty plate and isn't that all that really matters? Bon appétit!  

Ingredients:
- 6 slices bacon cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Swiss/Gruyere cheese, diced or grated
- 1/2 cup chopped ham (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped, steamed broccoli
- 9" partially baked pie shell
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cups cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- white pepper (go with black if that is all you have)

Directions:
1. Cook bacon until almost crisp. Remove it from the pan and drain on paper towels. Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings until tender.
2. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Bake the pie shell for just a few minutes. Cover the bottom of the partially baked pie shell with onions, bacon and cheese. Beat eggs and cream together with the salt, nutmeg and white pepper. Pour all into the pie shell.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 350ºF and bake another 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment