Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cornmeal Muffins

Yesterday I was in full baking mode. And when I say full baking mode, I really mean full baking mode. I made blueberry muffins, peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, Turtle brownies and then, to top it off, these yummy corn bread muffins (or 'moofons' as my sister and I call them). I brought them along to a Birthday/House Warming  Party of a dear friend of mine. Chili was on the menu and these guys go along very nicely with the spice. I was rather pleased with myself I have to say, when I received the compliment not once, but twice (!), that mine was the best corn bread these two different  individuals had ever tried. Jeremy had to burst my bubble by biting in to his own bubble, a baking powder bubble that is, and exclaiming that this was by far not the best cornbread he'd ever had. That said, when you're making these muffins, just make sure that your baking powder is well sifted :) Bon appétit!


Ingredients:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup softened butter


Directions:
1. Set oven to 375F, grease your muffin tin. Mix all of your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
2. Mix the eggs, butter and milk in a bowl until well blended. Pour the wet mixture in to the well of the dry ingredients.
3. Mix until just moistened (batter may still be lumpy) for about 10-15 minutes or until your muffins look golden brown along the edges. Again, be careful not to over cook them. This time is pretty loose as my original recipe includes neither time, directions or temperature. 
4. Serve warm! Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha, that's the problem with those "just moistened" recipes. I think this is my favorite cornbread recipe: (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homesteader-Cornbread/Detail.aspx). I like the muffin form factor idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to find that 'muffin form factor' Peter. Sounds like a complex mathematical equation ... I'm now going to attempt to solve the complex and unsolvable muffin form factor :)

    ReplyDelete