Sunday, September 26, 2010

Peanut-Crusted Chicken with Corn on the Cob

This post is a big koodos to my most wonderful and very talented husband, Mr. Jeremy Giles. While I worked away on my endless stream of OT-related paperwork, he made dinner. What a lovely gift for a tired girl. Given that he laboured away in the kitchen, I think that it's only fair that he be featured on the blog - I love you honey! 


I decided to try this recipe on a whim when I saw peanut-bits at the bulk-barn. I'd remembered seeing this recipe from, guess guess, Everyday Food, and thought we'd give it a try. In this recipe, the peanuts lend a really nice, golden and crispy crust to the chicken (we used 'chicken tenders' instead of full breasts to save some $) - and, because the dish is baked, there's no need for a frying pan which is always nice. Other nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, can be used instead. For my 50$ a week frugalista food budget though, peanuts it is! Corn on the cob was a really nice side dish. I have yet to figure out a way of eating corn without it getting all smashed up in my teeth though. Bon appétit! 


Ingredients (for 4):
- 1 tbs. olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 3/4 cups roasted unsalted peanuts
- 3 slices white sandwich bread, torn into small pieces
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 4 pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)


Serve with:
- side salad & corn on the cob


Directions for the chicken:
1. Preheat oven to 475F. Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet. In a food processor, pulse peanuts and bead until coarsely ground. Transfer to a shallow bowl; whisk in the oil, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper
2. In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs; season generously with salt and pepper. Add chicken and turn to coat. Working with one piece at a time, lift chicken and let excess egg mixture drip back into bowl; dredge in peanut mixture to coat completely, gently pressing to adhere. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Bake (without turning) until crust is browned and chicken is just cooked through 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment