Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Honey-Soy Grilled Pork Chops

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum. And... yum. This was a super easy, super yummy dish that I highly recommend you try. I'm a little sad about one thing when it came to making this recipe though. I actually got sad at the grocery store itself. I was prepared to do something that I had never done before, to venture to a part of the vegetable aisle that I had never explored, to taste a vegetable I'd never tasted ... the ever mysterious baby bok choy. The original recipe had this exciting veggie lightly grilled with sesame oil and served crunchy. Probably standard fare in many parts of the world, but not in the Giles or Hartley James households. Sadly though, when I arrived at the grocery store, they had no baby bok choy.  Not even grown up bok choy! I know the 14 year old produce guy had no idea what I was talking about. His and my loss... his and my loss. Perhaps in the next couple of weeks I will try a different grocery store and a different recipe for my crunchy bok choy recipe. In the mean time, here's the recipe for the pork chops. As I said, they were very good and a fun excuse for using real ginger. We paired them instead with a tasty little avocado salad with mixed greens. Bon Appétit!

Ingredients:
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 4 bone-in pork rib chops (2-2 1/2 pounds)
- vegetable oil, for grill

Directions:
1. Heat your grill to high, in the mean time, cook your rice how you like to do it.
2. While the rice is cooking, make your glaze: stir together the honey, soy sauce, and ginger in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
3. When your grill is hot, lightly oil grates. Season the pork chops with salt & pepper on both sides. Grill pork until cooked, about 5-7 minutes. Brush pork with your glaze, and grill 30 seconds more per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment